Nellie’s Schoolhouse is an organization dedicated to creating and maintaining ongoing therapeutic relationships between children with autism, depression and anxiety and well trained and well-behaved dogs. In our program, screened volunteers and their dogs visit visit children in schools, camps, after school and evening programs as well as in their homes. They also improved their socialization and communication skills.
During 30-45 minute prescribed visits, children learn leash handling skills, proper and safe petting, treating, feeding, grooming and silent and verbal commands as well as how to understand and read a dog’s body language, facial expressions and voice. In this continuing interaction over the course of weeks and, in some instances, months, children learn important life skills such as responsibility, reliability, spontaneity, patience, perseverance, focus and empathy and gain dramatically in their self -confidence.
Read Nellie’s Schoolhouse Testimonials
Goals of Nellie’s Schoolhouse
Our program helps children gain independence and self-confidence through the following activities:
- Teaching a child how to properly approach and pet a dog.
- Teaching a child how to effectively groom a dog.
- Teaching a child how to correctly treat and feed a dog.
- Teaching a child how to safely and securely leash walk a dog.
- Teaching a child how to give and implement verbal and non-verbal commands to dogs.
- Teaching children how to understand the language of dogs and feel comfortable around their canine friends.
Learn more about the positive impact of therapy dogs.
Highlights of Nellie’s Schoolhouse
- An individualized behavioral, social and educational approach for each child.
- Children’s progress evaluated and shared with parents during and at the conclusion of the program.
- Volunteers and their dogs screened before acceptance into the program.
- 30-45 minute sessions.
Whom We Serve
Nellie’s Schoolhouse has worked with the following organizations and schools & continues to work with many of them.
- Arch Street Preschool
- A Step Up Academy
- Camp Pegasus
- Carousel Connections
- Hilltop Preparatory School
- Judith Creed Horizons for Adult Independence
- St. James School
- The Norwood School
- The Quaker School at Horsham
- The Talk School
- The Timothy School
- The Woodlynde School